Advent. One small word that holds such significance.
While Advent represents one of the most holy seasons on our Christian calendar, it’s an equally positive term in mainstream society. Advent is synonymous with words such arrival, appearance, emergence, occurrence, birth,
rise and coming. These words offer a powerful realization as we celebrate the coming of Jesus. Regardless of where we find ourselves on this planet, regardless of our circumstances, each one of us has equal access to the gift that is Jesus’s arrival in our world. All we have to do is claim it.
During this season of Advent we know that one bright light is ever present, always ready to lead the way forward. This is our hope, this is our shared Advent celebration.
PowerPoint with audio:
Video (updated weekly during Advent):
Study, Worship and Music Resources
- Advent and Christmas: A resource from The United Methodist Church
- Advent and Christmas Resources from Global Ministries
- Advent and Christmas Resources from Rethink Church
- Advent and Christmas Leadership Resources from Discipleship Ministries
- Advent Resources from Cokesbury
- Christmas Resources from Cokesbury
- Epiphany Worship Resources
- Upper Room Seasonal Resources
- Advent Wreath Candlelighting Meditations
- Upper Room Daily Devotional Guide
- Advent Meditations 2014-15
- UMC Daily Advent Quiz
- How Long? A Song for Advent by Mark Andrew Miller
- Christmas Around the World
- Rethink Church: More Joy, Less Stress
- United Methodists Share Stories of Beloved Nativity Scenes
- Western North Carolina Conference: Could Ferguson Help us Focus on Advent?
- Home For Christmas? Not for Border Families
- Las Posadas: Welcoming Jesus
- Chuck Knows Church: Advent Wreath
- It’s Advent. #StayWoke: Mickey ScottBey Jone’s explores the intersection of Advent and racial justice
- #StayWokeAdvent Waiting for Justice during the season of Advent